COVID -19 Updates
Update Canaan Valley Half Marathon scheduled for August 22-23, 2020.
July 13, Update
#MotivationMonday Keep Pushing Forward!!!
Course Announcement and other stuff…
The situation once again is changing quite rapidly and I’m still moving forward to produce a great, socially distanced safe race. That being said I take COVID-19 very seriously and the risks associated with it. I don’t have a spleen, which protects your body against pneumonia, which comes with COVID so I don’t want to push my luck, because I’m in that at-risk group. That being said I truly feel we can create a safe race environment that’s at least as safe as any grocery store or box chain if not more. West Virginia just announced more restrictions on group sizes back down to 25 and has canceled all fairs and festivals but not sporting events.
You can still switch to a VIRTUAL version or defer for a fee until 8/1. Email me at [email protected] and put VIRTUAL in the subject line if you would wish to switch events. As for our Virtual Participants, I have processed almost all of your requests and will be processing the remainder tonight. You should receive an email once you have been moved over to the virtual event. I will also mail out instructions on how to upload your finish times by the end of the week.
💥💥We will officially be offering the Half Marathon and 10k on Saturday 8/22 in addition to Sunday 8/23. 💥💥 I will be emailing all Half Marathon and 10k participants tomorrow asking if you would like to switch your day from Sunday to Saturday. If you don’t want to switch that is fine, but I would love some volunteers so we can really spread runners out over both days.
Runners will take off in 1-minute increments beginning at 6am on both Saturday and Sunday is the plan as of now. If you are with a small group that is traveling together and wants to run together, you will be allowed to start together. Please let me know when I email you. We will have runners arrive in groups about 30 minutes prior to your start time. I will be sending out more information on the exact details as we get closer to August. Rooms are going fast at Canaan Valley Resort so I would call them if you want to walk to and from the race.
The course has changed dramatically and will now be a looped course on the back half of Canaan Valley State Park. the 10k will do one loop and the Half Marathon participants will do 2 loops. We will start and finish behind the Canaan Valley Resort. The course will utilize much more of the golf course which is an absolutely beautiful run! Please see the map below and I will have more information on the course soon. It was impossible with Social Distancing guidelines, and traffic control to have a larger course logistically it just would not work.
I know there are a few things I missed and I would be happy to answer. In the meantime, I’m going to keep pushing forward with trying to plan, replan, plan again, and plan again this race.
July 1, COVID-19 Update
Good News – Next Monday will officially be Medal Reveal Monday! Beyond looking cool, there’s something else about these medals that I can’t wait to share!
Race Weekend – So there’s a lot of uncertainty with rising cases of COVID-19, and reopening so to err on the side of caution I’m going to move forward with an extremely conservative race plan. However, this too could change.
- We will not be using our originally planned course this year due to concerns with shuttles and COVID19. The start and finish line will both be at the Canaan Valley Resort. I’m currently working on finalizing the courses and will hopefully have those for everyone in the coming days.
- I plan on sending out a survey to Runners next week about the option of running the Half Marathon and 10k on Saturday as well as on Sunday. Also allowing runners to do the 5k on Sunday as well as Saturday. If there is enough interest I would like to give the option to runners to pick their day which would allow for the best spacing.
- I’m also planning on pushing the first gun time on Saturday and Sunday to 6 am. Once we postponed because it’s a warmer time of year in theory, I would like to give runners the option to start earlier. We can have some really cool misty mountain mornings that time of year that can make for optimal running weather. By pushing the start earlier it also allows us more time to spread runners out.
- I’m planning on starting runners one at a time as a time trial instead of a mass or group starts.
The goal is 1 runner every 20 seconds – 1 minute, depending on restrictions. Don’t worry if you are running as a group or small group we will let friends who travel together run together in groups of 2-4 if needed. I’m still working on logistics for arrival times for runners, packet pick up, etc… By late next week, I’m hoping to have our executable plan finalized.
- Virtual Runners – By this Friday, 7/3, you will be transferred to a new event with instructions on how to log your time and other information. I will also be sending an email to you to confirm your participation in the Virtual Race. In the email, I will also remind you to confirm your mailing address to make sure your SWAG is delivered to the correct address.
- Virtual Options – Given the uncertainty surrounding the unprecedented circumstances I will extend the option to participate VIRTUALLY through the month of July ending on July, 31 at midnight. So if you are not comfortable with participating in person you may opt to participate VIRTUALLY if you let us know by 7/31. Please email us at [email protected] and put VIRTUAL in the subject line and we will transfer you to our Virtual event.
- Deferrals – Our complementary Deferral period is over. You may still defer at any time for an additional fee before 8/15. Here are instructions
This is only if you want to defer from this point on for a fee. If you have already deferred through email we will take care of this for you and you don’t need to do anything at this time.
I hope this helps everyone and really looking forward to seeing everyone at the starting line! Thank you for bearing with us in this unprecedented time! Stay healthy, Keep Running and we will see you soon!
Looking for additional lodging options? Check out and use our Booking.com link for an extensive list of local lodging options.
Friday, March 20, 2020
We did sign a new contract with Canaan Valley Resort for the weekend of August 22-23, 2020. We will still have the Canaan Valley 5k on Saturday, 8/22 and the Half Marathon & 10k on Sunday 8/23. We are beginning plans to start working towards making that the best race weekend we possibly can and helping everyone enjoy our beautiful surroundings here in Tucker County. Given all of the setbacks with COVID-19, many of our partners are closing or their staff is working remotely for the next couple of weeks, planning will be on hold for 2 weeks and we will have more updates as soon as possible. We understand the new race date might not work for everyone below the options for runners if you can’t make it that weekend.
1. Participate in our New Race Date – If you would like to run our new date you don’t need to do anything simply show up and have the Racecation of a lifetime! We urge runners to please join us for our new date, this event is very important for our community and once everything passes everyone will need a good runcation and some crisp mountain air.
2. Run Virtually – If you can’t make the new date and you let us know by June 15, 2020, we will mail you all your swag. If you would like to run virtually please email us at canaan202[email protected] and in the subject of the email put VIRTUAL to help us to organize your request. It is only me processing all the requests so please allow time for a response.
3. Defer your Registration – If you can’t make the new race date you may defer your registration to 2021, 2022, or 2023 Free of Charge. If you would like to defer your registration please email us at [email protected] and in the subject of the email please put DEFER to help us organize all of the requests. As I mentioned above please be patient it is only me processing everything so allow time for a response.
4. On May 15, we plan on reopening registrations to new participants. So, if you haven’t signed up yet and want to join us you will have an opportunity to sign up and join us.
Thank you, everyone, for your support and I can’t wait for finish line smiles, high fives (maybe air high 5’s) and that race day energy! In the meantime, stay healthy, be smart, keep exercising, practice social distancing and try to maintain some normalcy! Next week I plan on getting back to posting pictures of beautiful local vistas and race day energy.